Wednesday, August 1, 2012

 GO + SEE


JIM MARSHALL : The Rolling Stones and Beyond


Steven Kasher Gallery
521 West 23 Street
New York NY 10011
212- 226 - 1485


Skip James, Newport Folk Festival, 1964



In November 1969 with a filled Madison Garden crowd I witness the concert of the year, Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones. It was the first concert I ever stood on line to buy tickets for. B.B King and Ike and Tina Turner were opening acts .


1969 was a wild and wonderful year in New York, in America .


So when I went to Steven Kasher Gallery I thought it would be a great moment to roll around in the nostalgia of my reckless rock and roll youth during the period when parents did not admit to liking anything their kids listen to.


There are so many wonderful images of The Stones and the Beatles and others of that older era. A lot of behind the scenes
in rock arenas, small clubs and the long missed Newport Jazz Festival. This exhibition has been one of the best reviewed in New York this summer.


All I have to say about it is, that I found a photograph that touched me. I had never seen it before but I plan on looking at it a lot. I know this man. I like this moment and the gentle mystery is he tipping his hat or on the verge of taking it off to wipe his head.


The crumple handkerchief looks like a blooming flower, I stood in front of this photograph a long time, waiting for Mr James to finish, knowing he is fixed beautifully in this moment.


If you wished to read reviews just google James Marshall they are there. If you want to find a surprise and remember a time go + see .


Steven Kasher Gallery

hours are Tuesday - Saturday, 11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.  closed August 12 - September 3. 
The show runs through  September 8th.

Copyright Jim Marshall Photography LLC, Courtesy Steven Kasher Gallery, New York









No comments:

Post a Comment