Sunday, February 5, 2012

IN MEMORY OF MY GRANDFATHER part 2 THOUGHTS ABOUT BUILDER LEVY'S PHOTOGRAPHS




Late last October when I started on the newest issue of South x Southeast Photography Magazine the only certainty in my mind were about these photographs by Builder Levy.After I contacted him and we begin to discuss the work Builder sent me about 75 images that had to be edited to about 20 .

I knew thatI wanted to show them at their best for a online magazine and so I set about to create a visual and linear story line on an ongoing project, Builder has been working on since 1968.That is 44 years of dedication . I wanted to reveal in about 20 pictures the social economic and environmental details that has taken a man over forty years to sort out .Many people have gone to this region Builder keeps going back.

Someone asked me to describe Builder and of course I gave one of my wicked summations .That Builder is not just a social-documentary or a journalist he makes photographs.He is ell known here for his fine art photography.He is also a decent man with deep moral convictions about justice . Enough that it shows in these photograph

I wish that you all will truly look at these photographs and read them and see details.It was almost hubris for me to think that I could do it in 20 imagesbut give them time and you will see,maybe understand .....more to follow

2 comments:

  1. Thank you John for your kind words and generous spirit. Love your sequencing of my photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sequencing, John. It allows me to see my own work in a new way. thank you.

    ReplyDelete